Hazardous Materials

What to do:

If spill creates imminent danger to health, property, or the environment:

  • Isolate area of spill by shutting doors or using other means of containment.
  • If possible to do so safely (without risk of exposure) take action to stop the release & prevent or minimize releases.
  • Leave the area and pull fire alarm to evacuate the building.
  • Notify the University Police by dialing 911 or 607-753-2111 to provide information for emergency responders. Try to provide the following information:
    • Name of hazardous material
    • Estimated quantity of material
    • Location of incident
    • Time of incident
    • Whether anyone was injured or exposed
    • Whether a fire or explosion is involved
    • Your name, contact number and location
  • Follow all instructions from emergency responders. Do not initiate evacuation from other buildings unless advised to by emergency responders.

If spill does not create imminent danger to health, property, or the environment:

  • Use appropriate spill supplies to contain the material.
  • Render appropriate first aid or notify the University Police for medical assistance.
  • Notify Environmental Health and Safety at 607-753-2508 during business hours or University Police at 607-753-2111 after hours for assessment.

For more information contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office.