SUNY Cortland’s campus emergency notification system has been developed to create the safest possible environment for the campus community. Please take a moment to review this site and provide us with your emergency contact information. Please note that SUNY Cortland students will need to use their Banner Web account to update or provide their contact information.
Modes of Communication
The type of emergency will dictate the modes of communication used to convey information. These include:
- Campus IP Phone System
- Campus Visual Messaging Screens
- Campus and Cortland Radio Stations
- Cell Phone Voice Messages – SUNY Cortland Alert System
- Cell Phone Text Messages – SUNY Cortland Alert System
- Fire Alarm
- SUNY Cortland Web Site
- Siren (see below)
Types of Emergencies
The system is designed to respond to a variety of campus emergencies. These include:
- Bomb Threat
- Civil Disturbance
- Hazardous Material Spill
- Major Road Closing/Incident
- Medical Emergency
- Personal Safety (shooter, suspicious package)
- Severe Weather
- Utility Failure
Use of the Siren
A siren will only be sounded in those instances that pose immediate life-threatening situations. Please listen carefully for a message over the loudspeakers. If possible, turn on your cell phone, check the College’s Web site, view a campus visual message screen or check your IP office or departmental phone for further information. If none of these options are available, secure your location or seek a secure one immediately.
SUNY Cortland Alert System is a high-priority mass notification system that enables students, employees and parents to receive emergency notifications and updates via SMS text messaging, voice messages, and e-mail. The SUNY Cortland Alert System is a completely voluntary service provided by the State of New York to all SUNY campuses. This is one component of the college’s wide-reaching emergency communication strategy, with the goal of providing a safe and secure environment in which to live and work. Sign up
Receiving an Alert
If you receive a SUNY Cortland Alert System message, you should do the following:
- Read the message carefully- do not ignore it.
- Alert others. Whether you are in a residence hall, dining hall, classroom or office, let those around you know about the alert.
- Follow all instructions carefully. The instructions will be direct and specific to the particular situation. If the situation requires it, additional messages will be transmitted to update you.
Information for Parents
Parents may receive SUNY Cortland Alert System messages through the student sign up. If you are a parent or family member and would like to receive the alerts, have your student add your cell and/or e-mail information to his or her account.
Designated Evacuation Gathering Sites
Pre-arranged gathering sites have been designated as part of the evacuation procedure for every campus facility. Please contact your building administrator for a list of these sites.