What to do:
The number you call to report an outage depends on when the outage occurs.
Between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. 607-753-2100
Between 6 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. 607-753-2112
Before you call, try to collect the following information:
- Is the entire building or only a portion of the building affected by the power outage?
- What are the room numbers of the areas involved in the outage?
- Are there any potentially hazardous or sensitive operations in the affected areas?
2. Be patient
Try to go about your business as normally as possible while you wait for the power to come back on. If it will be out for an extended time, the campus community will be notified through e-mail, the College website, social media, campus video screens or other medium.
- Do NOT use cigarette lighters, candles or any other open-flame device to provide lighting.
- If available, increase natural lighting by doing things like opening window shades.
- Shut off electrical appliances and computers before the power comes back on.
- Stop any activities that involve potentially hazardous conditions.
- If the outage involves a research laboratory and/or animal areas, notify the department head or chair because these areas may need special attention.
- Secure personal belongings.
- Be careful while moving about in an under-lighted work area to avoid slips, trips, or falls.
- Use an alternate source of light, like a cellphone or a keychain flashlight, to help you work your way to an exit in the dark.